Wednesday, December 24, 2008

St. Johns Pride


When I taught 3rd grade my students and I studied the bridges of our fair city, Portland, Oregon. This awesome suspension bridge in North Portland, the St. Johns bridge, proved to be the most popular amongst my students. It certainly had the most "ooh and ahh" factor.

Even though I grew up in Portland I never went over this Gotham City-esque bridge until I was in high school, when my friends and I would eagerly drive around any part of the city as long as we were seemingly" independent" of our parents.

As North Portland's popularity grows and grows (a.k.a. gentrification) the bridge becomes more of a recognizable and celebrated icon of the NoPo, and of the city at large.

As a tribute to my beautiful city and it's beautiful bridge I have found some excellent St. Johns' eye candy:

Rad, rad, rad! I just purchased this letterpress card from BitterSugar. Like many crafty folk I love my letterpress, but this takes the proverbial cake. Such a simple and delicate image.










Check out this sweet Gocco print from Art Shark Designs. It's entitled Portland Love. The red umbrellas are super cute. Artist Megan Nolton has a series of "City Love" prints on her site. Check it out.


















Get your very own organic cotton "Johnny" pillow by Crazy Coconut. The shop also carries another version of the pillow featuring tiny St. Johns bridges.













Michelle Ramin does great mixed media work. Here is her "St. Johns Bridge in Purple Sky".

No comments:

Post a Comment